Trip Three: Week Eleven! August 31-September 6

 Eleven weeks down, two to go! 


Time really does move differently here on the ship. In many ways, it feels like I just left the States to come to the ship, but it also feels like I've been here forever with the routines I've established and the relationships I've built. 

This was another busy week in the OR, per usual. While the photos I share are the fun, off-work moments, I usually end up working 50+ hours a week, Monday to Friday. As a team leader, I have a few additional responsibilities after surgeries finish, so most nights I finish my duties at or after 6pm. I also can't obviously share photos from inside the OR or with patients, so the photos shared are the after-work highlights! 

There is not much to report from this week. I got off the ship a couple nights this week for dinner and enjoyed another sunrise run on Friday. Most of the week was spent in the OR working! 






On Saturday, I spent time in town, ate a delicious lunch, then returned to say farewell to friends on the dock. In the evening, I joined a group of friends at a local spot for dancing and music. I attempted to remember some of the bachata moves I had learned several weeks earlier, but I definitely still have room to grow and improve. It was still a fun time just watching! 


I was on call on Sunday, but one of my friends offered to hold the pager for me in the morning so I could go into town. After returning to the ship in the afternoon, I watched a basketball game on the dock before going for a walk around the port. The sunset progression on Sunday evening was stunning! 


To finish out the weekend, I did some laundry, watched the sermon from home, and FaceTimed my family. Overall, it was a pretty good weekend! 


OR Recap

Thyroid surgeries continued with a new surgical team onboard. The cases are a bit extensive and involved, but definitely life-changing for these patients! This week, the AFM operating room saw 43 patients across clefts, thyroid, and pediatric general surgery specialties, 9 of whom were thyroid patients. 



Thank you for your prayers and continued encouragement. I ask for prayer as I start to think about transitioning home to the States in the next couple of weeks. When I get back to the States, life will look quite a bit different than what I'm used to, and I won't really be settled down anywhere for the 8 weeks I'm home. I love a routine, so this season will stretch me in many ways. I am thankful for wonderful friends and a generous community who has supported me in pursuing this calling. Praise God! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip Two: Week One! October 25-November 2

Trip Three: Week Ten! August 24-30

Trip Three: Week One! June 16-28